The replica Bounty (originally the schooner Lily) used in Mutiny on the Bounty / 1930s
The vessel that stood in for HMS Bounty had an almost cinematic, unfortunate afterlife. Built as the Lily in 1882 by the Dickie Brothers in San Francisco, she had already been scarred by film work decades before the MGM epic: in 1920 a production was given permission to burn her decks while she was moored. MGM purchased the hull in May 1927 and employed her in late silent and early talkie features; she was sold in 1932 and worked as a salvage vessel before MGM acquired her again by June 1934 and began conversion to portray Bligh’s ship for the 1935 production. After filming the Bounty and her on‑screen companion Pandora were moored at Long Beach by 1937 but fell into disrepair by the end of the decade. MGM sold the Bounty in 1946 to F.W. Eaton, who restored her schooner rigging and anchored her off Cabrillo Beach; a Long Beach Press‑Telegram account dated August 13, 1950 reports that, after conversion to a fishing barge, the old film ship dragged anchor in a storm, battered the breakwater and sank. The Pandora replica (later named Nanuk) likewise had a diminished fate—sold and converted to an oil‑powered freighter and eventually disappearing from Lloyd’s register by 1960—so that both of the principal props from MGM’s lavish sea epic ended up lost, wrecked or vanished, a bleak epilogue to the studio’s grand on‑location ambitions.
Follow the sources
Status and citations are supplied by the archive. AI concept art is an interpretation, not historical evidence.